I don't want to answer Sandy, but my sense of the constitutional issue is this:  Yoder was in part a result of C.J. Burger's assertions that the Amish were a quaint, quite, productive historical artifact that had survived into the 20th century and they needed to be left alone so they could prosper and remain quaint.  The opinion ignored Douglas's point that maybe the children wanted to go to school and were being denied a shot at a better, or different, life by their parents who wanted to prevent their children from being exposed to the "real" world, but in doing so were also denying their children the chance of ever competing in the real world.  The justification for all this was the Amish are self-contained, law abiding, never harm anyone, and are wonderful and should be allowed to flourish in their own little world, free from the corrupting influence of algebra, geometry, French or Spanish classes, advanced American history, high school economics, biology, chemistry, physics, and most of all, meeting and socializing with children their own age who are not like them.  The article Sandy recommends strongly suggests that Burger's view of the Amish was  quite wrong; they are not perfect, or saints, or better than anyone else, and the children might actually benefit from being in school and getting out of homes that are abuse, at least for part of the day.

Paul Finkelman
--
Paul Finkelman
Chapman Distinguished Professor of Law

918-631-3706 (office)
918-631-2194 (fax)

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Avi Schick wrote:
Professor Levinson

I'm somewhat confused by your statement that "even if the article is off
by 50% with regard to the actual number of young women who are raped or
otherwise abused by their fathers and, especially, brothers, it
nevertheless states a powerful claim."

Any abuse of the sort recounted in the article is horrific, but the
article doesn't attempt to quantify the abuse.  The closest it comes is
when it says" "no statistics are available, but according to one Amish
counselor who works with troubled church members across the Midwest,
sexual abuse of children is "almost a plague in some communities."   Are
these the "actual numbers" that your post refers to, or did I miss
something?

I'm also interested in your belief that there is a constitutional
dimension to the issue.
To me, it appears that the problem stems from the Amish insularity from
outside influences.  While that insularity stems from a religious
belief, it is not the concern of the state.  Perhaps a decision to
require Amish children to attend public high schools would act as a
check on the abuse discussed on the article, by providing children with
an outsider to report it to.   On the other hand, the abuse discussed in
the article began at an early age, and Amish children are in school
through 8th grade.  Besides, I imagine the amish would choose to send
their children to Amish schools, not public schools.

Perhaps prosecutors are less likely to take seriously an allegation of
abuse coming from an Amish child.  If that was so, the article certainly
serves an important corrective purpose.   Again, though, this is not a
constitutional concern.   After all, I suspect that allegations of abuse
or other crimes against a tenured law professor might  sometimes be
treated differently than similar allegations against an immigrant with
limited english language skills.

The article also mentions that some prosecutors are hesitant to
prosecute Amish.  I'm not sure if Amish vote (although I doubt it) but
even if they don't perhaps the motivation is (as the article explains)
the desire to protect a lucrative (to the State) tourist industry.  That
too is a political problem, not a constitutional one. It explains why
police conduct drug raids in inner city communities and not at Wall
Street or Hollywood holiday parties where the drug laws are no doubt
violated openly and disdainfully.

Your post ends by noting that we know little about the Amish or hasidim
and are reduced to arguing "whether the FE Clause gives them a pass from
any genuine monitoring by the "external" legal order."   I am certainly
not as up on the caselaw as you are, but wonder which cases concern
"genuine monitoring by the "external" legal order."   Not the KJ cases
or Yoder, which are education cases.  Lukumi is closer, but
it concerned the applicability of a particular law, not an exemption
from "general monitoring" by the "legal order."  Has there really been a
Supreme Court case in the past several decades that seriously considered
the question of exempting religious believers from the American legal
system?

Avi Schick (writing solely in my personal capacity)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] 01/01/05 4:06 PM >>>

I strongly recommend an article by Nadya Labi, "The Gentle People," in
the current issue of Legal Affairs.  It argues that incest is rife
within Amish communities and that, basically, the community does next to
nothing to control it, other than pressing the victims to "forgive" the
perpetrators (who go on perpetrating).  It is, I think, an essential
"corrective," as it were, to the image of the Amish portrayed in Yoder.
At the very least, there seems to be no good reason to be less concerned
about child abuse within the Amish community than, say, the abuse that
is alleged with regard to polygamous "old-Mormon" communities or,
indeed, pedophilia within the Catholic Church.  Even if the article is
off by 50% with regard to the actual number of young women who are raped
or otherwise abused by their fathers and, especially, brothers, it
nevertheless states a powerful claim.  One of its central points is the
practical inability of the formal legal system to do much about this,
inasmuch as some prosecutors treat the perpetrators like football
players in Virginia (i.e., there's a lot of turning the eye away); more
seriouis, perhaps, is the very strong code within the Amish community
that effectively prevents "going to law" to resolve such problems.  The
only effective remedy appears to be physically running away, by young
women who, of course, have received nothing that could possibly count as
an education adequate to allow them to flourish in what is disdainfully
termed, by the Amish, the "English" society.  No doubt there are many
wonderful people among the Amish, though, of course, I suspect that most
of us have never met anyone who actually lives within that community,
just as most of us have never had the pleasure of meeting a Satmar Hasid
from Kiryat Joel.  We are ultimately reduced to a version of "making up
stories" about how they actually live their lives and (mis)treat their
children and whether the FE Clause gives them a pass from any genuine
monitoring by the "external" legal order.

A Happy New Year to all!

sandy