Or it is simply the term or art used at the time, and nothing more. Surely, if the farmers wanted to write God into the Constitution they would have; but go read their debates; read the federalist papers; they wanted nothing to do with God and Religion in their government; their discussion of religion is to declare that it causes trouble for a free society.

Paul Finkelman

Scarberry, Mark wrote:

There is, of course, the reference in Article VII to "the Year of our Lord."
Maybe such a reference was thought sufficient to eliminate any implication
that the new Constitution was anti-Christian without creating any basis for
anyone to infer that the federal government had any power over religion.

Mark S. Scarberry

-----Original Message----- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Cc: Religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu Sent: 1/30/2005 2:50 PM Subject: Re: God in the Constitution

In a message dated 1/30/2005 5:21:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,