Marci, you write that "[a]ccommodation should be measured according to whether the accommodation goes beyond fitting the designated religious conduct, and moves into giving benefits to the religious to get around the law even when not for religious purposes."  But surely, in the cases where you and I would probably agree that third-party harms raise serious constitutional questions -- e.g., the vaccination exemptions, Caldor and Hardison, the religious objector exemption to the draft (before the Court broadly construed it to go beyond religious objection in Seeger and Welsh), the child-welfare religious exemptions -- the problem is not that the exempted parties are using religion as a pretext to "get around" the law, is it?  The problem, instead, is that even (indeed, especially) where the religious claims to exemption are entirely sincere and compelling, others must bear the (significant) costs of accommodating those sincere religious objections, right?
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 7:26 AM
Subject: Re: Harm to others -- Please don't forget accommodations

As I think I indicated early on, harm to third parties is the central theme of my forthcoming book, God vs. the Gavel (Cambridge Univ Press).  It is also central to my article in the BYU Church Autonomy symposium.  You are absolutely right that the Free Exercise Clause does not permit COURTS to engage in a harm inquiry.  That is the point of Smith and my extended defense of it in both works.  Third party harm is part of the public good analysis by the legislature.  When courts weighed public policy through strict scrutiny of neutral, generally applicable laws, they typically focussed exclusively on the harm to the religious conduct and failed to consider harm to third parties in any meaningful way.  (the one exception would be J. O'Connor in Smith).  They did so in part because they are institutionally incompetent to get to the larger public issues.  The thread focused on this in large part, beca! use I threw out this thesis, which is frankly new in the Free Exercise dicourse.

With respect to the Establishment Clause, harm to third parties again is more properly considered by the legislature than the courts.  Accommodation should be measured according to whether the accommodation goes beyond fitting the designated religious conduct, and moves into giving benefits to the religious to get around the law even when not for religious purposes.  For example, the peyote exemption is fine for religious purposes, but strays into the EC when it's for recreational purposes.  This, of course, does not answer all questions re: accommodation, but it is my view that it is the appropriate framework.

Marci