I was just looking back to the "good ol' days," seven years ago, when then-Professor McConnell was able to participate with us in discussing these same issues.  For those interested, here are links to what I thought was an especially valuable and revealing exchange prompted by Jim Dwyer's concerns about religious exemptions that give parents the right to use "spiritual treatment" on sick children.  This is very much a selective list of the posts in the thread in question -- there were many, many more:

It actually goes on quite a ways from there . . .

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, March 18, 2005 5:36 AM
Subject: Re: Harm to others -- Please don't forget accommodations

Bobby:  Agreed!

I would note in this regard, however, that however the difficult cases might be decided, even as eloquent a proponent of permissive accommdation as Michael McConnell conceded (60 G.W. L. Rev. 685) that certain tangible "harms" to third parties could render an exemption unconstitutional.  For example, as to Zorach itself, McConnell acknowledged that if there were a "wasted hour" for the students left behind (as Chip Lupu had described his own experience in the New York State schools), then the release-time program would have been invalid:  "Zorach is a difficult case because the opinion does not provide sufficient information about the activities in which the nonparticipating students were engaged. In my opinion, a released time program of the sort Professor Lupu experienced as a child, in which the nonparticipating students were inflicted with 'an entirely wasted hour of school,' Lupu, supra note 6, at 744, would be unconstitutional."  McConnell went on to argue that the types of third-party harms that should "count" for Religion Clause purposes are those that could induce the third parties to alter their own (real or feigned) religious beliefs, conduct or affiliation.  I'm not sure I agree that the inqiury should be so limited; but that's one very interesting perspective on your question.

FWIW, we had a somewhat interesting list-thread on the problem back on February 16-20, dealing specifically with contemporary release-time programs.

P.S.  I would respectfully suggest that then-Professor McConnell erred in suggesting that the opinion in Zorach itself "does not provide sufficient information about the activities in which the nonparticipating students were engaged" to enable us to determine whether the program was unconstitutional.  Right at the outset, the Court's opinion describes the plaintiffs' complaint that "the classroom activities come to a halt while the students who are released for religious instruction are on leave."  343 U.S. at 309.  And Justice Jackson's dissent confirmed this understanding:  "Here schooling is more or less suspended during the 'released time' so the nonreligious attendants will not forge ahead of the churchgoing absentees. But it serves as a temporary jail for a pupil who will not go to Church."  Id. at 324.  As Jackson reasonably explained, it was exactly this "dead time" that had the effect of encouraging students to attend church schools.