I've always been kind of fascinated with how the chaplaincy system
would survive a rigorous establishment clause evaluation.  One thing
you have to remember is that the effect of the system on soldiers will
be very different out in the field than it is on post (my experience
in the Army, but the effect of the system is probably similar in the
other services).  On large posts or hospitals they'll have several
different chaplains providing a variety of possible services,
including Jewish, Catholic, nondenominational Protestant,
African-American-centric Protestant, and I would imagine at this point
- Muslim.

However, out in the field, you're stuck with your Battalion Chaplain,
who of course is most likely to be a Christian (usually Protestant,
somethings Catholic).  This guy is assigned his own vehicle,
equipment, and even an assistant.

It seems to me that, at least in this setting, the military would have
a legitimate - perhaps even compelling - interest in having that
Chaplain be someone who provides comfort to ALL soldiers, regardless
of religion or lack thereof.  So it may very well be appropriate to
dismiss, or reassign to a post, somebody who doesn't do that.

Sam Ventola
Denver, Colorado