Jim:  The proper adjective is "Democratic," as in "Democratic Party."  (But
then, you probably already knew that.)  Sorry for the lecture, but this is a
hobbyhorse of mine:  The lockstep use of "Democrat" as an adjective is not only
juvenile, and grating on the ears, it's also quite literally McCarthyist -- in
the sense that it was a tactic first used by Joseph McCarthy, who wished to
deny the Democratic Party the positive associations generally associated with
the word "democratic."

> private.
> Anyone can subscribe to the list and read messages that are posted; people
> can
> read the Web archives; and list members can (rightly or wrongly) forward the
messages to others.

--- Begin Message ---
I am slow coming to this thread.  I did some research on oaths in connection with the mysterious disappearance of "so help me God" in testimonial oaths administered during the Democrat interregnum on the Senate Judiciary Committee, after Jim Jeffords left the Republican Caucus.  With Pat Leahy at the helm, I observed that witnesses were not being asked to give an oath which invoked Divine assistance (the "so help me God" oath).

Was this a deliberate omission?  Was this an excited, inexperienced Senator's accidental omission?  Did it mean anything?  These were the questions I was pursuing.

In a humorous vein, the Law Committee of the Parliament of Victoria, in Australia, prepared a report on oaths and multicultural society, included an anecdote about a clerk asking a magistrate if it would be a problem that testimonial oaths for two previous weeks of court were administered on the Shorter Oxford Dictionary, the courtroom Bible having disappeared.

In the process of my research, I did find older materials that run alongside the answer to  your question.

Thomas Aquinas wrote on the invocation of Divine assistance in swearing an oath, among other things concluding that to do so was permissible, was subject to becoming habitual and the source of abuse, and was, in its essence, a religious act.  (Question 89 in Aquinas' Treatise on Prudence and Justice).  Aquinas' discussion is important because it lays out an early available theological justification for the employment of religious oaths in juridical proceedings.

John Locke, in his Letter on Toleration, adverts to the subject but does not take the matter on directly.  In the letter he explains why it is that atheists cannot be relied upon in establishing truth or determining sincere commitments to duty:

"Lastly, those are not at all to be tolerated who deny the being of a God. Promises, covenants, and oaths, which are the bonds of human society, can have no hold upon an atheist. The taking away of God, though but even in thought, dissolves all; besides also, those that by their atheism undermine and destroy all religion, can have no pretence of religion whereupon to challenge the privilege of a toleration. As for other practical opinions, though not absolutely free from all error, yet if they do not tend to establish domination over others, or civil impunity to the church in which they are taught, there can be no reason why they should not be tolerated."

Blackstone explained the practice (apparently well-established) of judicial oaths invoking Divinity:

"The belief of a future state of rewards and punishments, the entertaining just ideas of the main attributes of the Supreme Being, and a firm persuasion that He superintends and will finally compensate every action in human life (all which are revealed in the doctrines of our Savior, Christ), these are the grand foundations of all judicial oaths, which call God to witness the truth of those facts which perhaps may be only known to Him and the party attesting; all moral evidences, therefore, all confidence in human veracity, must be weakened by apostasy, and overthrown by total infidelity."

The Fundamental Orders of Connecticut include the text of an oath to be taken by magistrates that concludes with an invocation of divine aid:  "and that I will maintain all the lawful priviledges thereof according to my understanding, as also assist in the execution of all such wholesome laws as are made or shall be made by lawful authority here established, and will further the execution of Justice for the time aforesaid according to the righteous rule of God's word; so help me God, in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ."

Other examples also exist (God forbid that I suggest peeking at Rector, Holy Trinity Church v. US for sources?).

During Washington's time, immigrants arriving into Pennsylvania from abroad undertook an oath of loyalty and fealty to the British Crown and of abjuration of the Pope, which in some ways might be likened to an oath of office (the office of resident?).  That oath, the text of which appears at http://www.docheritage.state.pa.us/documents/oathsfidelitytrans.asp , omits any invocation of divine assistance.

Subsequent in time to Washington's oath, Daniel Webster expressed a view quite similar to Locke's:

"In no case is a man allowed to be a witness [in court] that has no belief in future rewards and punishments for virtues or vices, nor ought he to be.  We hold life, liberty and property in this country upon a system of oaths; oaths founded on a religious belief of some sort . . . .  Our system of oaths in all our courts, by which we hold liberty and property, and all our rights, is founded on or rests on Christianity and a religious belief."

Jim Henderson
Senior Counsel
ACLJ

--- End Message ---