There was a story in yesterday's NYT about a group placing "Bible" classes in various public schools.  Apparently, the content includes assertions about intelligent design.  So it would appear there is a mutli-pronged approach.

To me, what is most interesting about the President's statement is that it follows on the heels of the Viennese Catholic Archbishop's statement that evolution is in doubt.  I think it is a mistake to underestimate the political ties between the anti-abortion forces in the right Catholic and the right evangelical Christian groups.  That political unity appears to have yielded another issue where they are in synch.  The ID offensive is a fairly coordinated social movement to push science aside for the purpose of furthering religion through the public schools.   (Even more interesting, I suppose, is that Catholic schools, in the US at least, are not changing their curricula in response to the Catholic statement, even though it was apparently endorsed, or permitted and encouraged, by the Pope.)

Any thoughts on whether Pres Bush will try to use No Child Left Behind as a base of power to force public schools to teach ID?  Could the Bush Administration put in place regulations under NCLB that would do as much?

It's also very interesting that this issue comes to the fore in the midst of the Roberts nomination.  Having chosen the business interests' favorite candidate and gotten pilloried by some right Christian groups, Bush may well now be placating those same groups.

Marci