I agree with Steve Jamar that educators ought to be allowed to teach science free of any interference from government. That is why I support school choice--let's allow science teachers and educators to design the science curriculum for their respective public or private schools and allow parents to choose (without penalty) which curriculum (public or private) is best for their children.

The only reason this is a problem is because whoever controls the public school curriculum can impose that curriculum on all of our children through the government school monopoly. I don't care whether evolution is taught as a fact at the school your kids attend, Steve. But I do care about what my children are taught. I would like my children to be taught the way McConnell and Johnson suggest.

We humans--whether evolved or created--don't know much about what happened even yesterday. It is hubris to pretend that we know what happened 10,000 or 10 billion years ago.

Cheers, Rick Duncan

Steven Jamar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Who created god?

Some of us believe that indeed the universe "was not designed and has no purpose" and that the question "why is there anything?" is interesting, but at present beyond the ability of anyone to answer convincingly.

Some of us also believe that "we humans are the product of [evolutionary] processes that care nothing about us."

And many of us who believe these things use the current best scientific understanding of the universe and evolution as part of the basis for why we believe like this.

But others who do not believe these same things also point to the lack of answers to why is there anything and to the gaps in our knowledge about many things in physics and evolution and infer the existence of some creator.

Some creationists do not have any difficulty with the fact of evolution.  Some do.  All but the most rabid creationists recognize "micro-evolution," extinction, mutation, and many other aspects that are explained by evolutionary concepts.

The rhetoric about what the other actually believes tends to be about what is going on at the other's polar extreme.  And the press tends to grab the poles rather than anything even 10 degrees from the pole because it makes better copy.

So where should the state be in all of this?  Let science texts and scientists teach science.  Then have their courses about philosophy and religion.  But that isn't acceptable to many in the creationist and literalist Christian faction -- most liberals I know -- like many people (liberals and others) who have posted on this issue on this list -- would be fine with having science taught as science and philosophy and religion taught about.  Not all, but many.

The spin put on Bush's remarks by his science advisor sit well with most of us -- but not those on the Christian right.

Steve