Those following this thread may be interested in a story from today's
Washington Post, headlined:
Air Force Withdraws Paper for
Chaplains
Document Permitted Proselytizing
 http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-
dyn/content/article/2005/10/10/AR2005101001582_pf.html
As for Chaplain K's response:  The chaplain has a rather extreme
sense of the scope of his rights (he believes himself free to incite
anything short of "treason, violence, or rebellion" -- civilians don't
have rights to incite that are quite this broad, do they?), and a rather
impoverished sense of the scope of his and the government's duties
(under the Establishment Clause and in regard to the maintenance
of morale and good order in the Armed Forces).  I don't think I can
say anything more than that about the self-serving, one-sidedness
of his views.
With respect to the reference to Title 10, Section 6031:  "An officer
in the chaplain corps may conduct public worship according to the
manner and forms of the church of which he is a member."  This
can only be understood as limited by the Constitution (here, the
Establishment Clause) and by overarching responsibilities for
maintaining military cohesion.  If the Air Force can, without violating
the Free Exercise Clause, order Captain Goldman to remove his
yarmulke while he is indoors (are you familiar with Goldman v.
Weinberger, Chaplain K?), it seems obvious that it can constrain
chaplains from conducting a public memorial service in ways that
undermine that cohesion.  (Apropos of the Post story above,
perhaps the armed services must do a better job in communicating
that lesson to its chaplains.)
I do think that soldier to soldier, cadet to cadet religious proselytizing
presents a much more difficult question.  These conversations do
not involve government agents speaking in some official capacity.
(Alan and I may part company on this one.)  In that regard, won't
conventional anti-harassment rules about a pervasively hostile
environment do the trick?  Or do we have no confidence that such
rules will be sensitively enforced (that is, neither under- nor over-
enforced) by military commanders?
Chip

On 10 Oct 2005 at 19:57, Gordon James Klingenschmitt wrote:

> Thanks Chip, you're right, I wasn'tthorough in my answers to Alan,
> soI'll try again here....
>
> Alan asked:
>
> > * If a Chaplain's comments placed the physical security of
> > militarypersonnel of other faiths
> atrisk, would such comments justify intervention? That, of course,is
> the extreme case and it is difficult to imagine anything likethat
> happening today. My answer is, yes, inciting TREASON, VIOLENCE, OR
> REBELLION would justify a government investigation of a Chaplain's
> speech, with appropriate disciplinary action IFcausation is
> provedbeyond reasonable doubt.
>
> > * If a Chaplain's comments incited the harassment of military
> > personnel of other faiths,
> wouldsuch comments justify some response from the authorities? If
> suchharassment in fact occurred and could fairly be understood to
> havebeen caused by a Chaplain's comments, would some kind
> ofintervention be warranted? My answer is,NO, the chaplain cannot be
> held accountable for others' choice to harass, when the chaplainisn't
> the one harassing. The term "fairly understood to have beencaused"
> isn't a high enough legal standard for proof of actual causation. I
> may buy it if you'd said "proven beyond reasonable doubt to have been
> caused" but that causation is hard to prove, when the harasser made
> his own free will choice to harass. And it'd be especially hard to
> prove, since even the most zealous and aggressivechaplains I know
> generally encourage (at least publicly)polite evangelism, and never
> rude evangelism.(Personally I only speak after "invitation-acceptance"
> and therefore can never harass.) Even at the Air Force Academy, the
> chaplain who encouraged students to evangelize theirfellow students
> (perhaps even mentioninghell) was cleared of any wrongdoing, since he
> did it in the chapel, quoting the Bible,encouraging peer discussion,
> not coersionbyrank.
>
> > * If a Chaplain's comments caused distrust among military
> > personnelof various faiths
> andundermined moral, that may be a harder case in part because ofthe
> indeterminacy of the harm alleged (distrust and loss ofmorale) and in
> part because of the difficulty in demonstratingcausation. Should we
> trust the judgment of military authorities insuch situations?
>
> Absolutely not. Perhaps inciting TREASON, VIOLENCE, OR REBELLION would
> justify a government investigation of a Chaplain's sermons,with
> appropriate disciplinary action. But morale? Clearly the government's
> burden, before invading the chapel, is higher than just alleging "he
> hurt my feelingsby speaking the truth." > * If a Chaplain's comments
> during a memorial service for a soldieror sailor would beexperienced
> by military personnel of others faiths as disparagingor hurtfulto such
> an extent that they would feel unwelcome atthe service... Would
> holding dual services be an acceptablesolution to this last situation?
> [...]

Ira C. ("Chip") Lupu
F. Elwood & Eleanor Davis Professor of Law
The George Washington University Law School
2000 H St., NW
Washington D.C 20052

(202) 994-7053

[EMAIL PROTECTED]