-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Alan Brownstein
Sent: Monday, October 31, 2005 5:15 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: Alito and Religion

I'm aware that some circuits in some older cases read Hazelwood to be a
non-public forum case and require the rigorous review of viewpoint
discriminatory pedagogical decisions in a school classroom. I think
these cases are wrong. Other circuits read Hazelwood more broadly and
clearly have the better of the argument -- particularly in light of
recent Supreme Court decisions.

The direction of the Court's free speech cases has been to move away
from forum analysis in evaluating the decisions of librarians, broadcast
programmers and other officials whose work involves discretionary
judgments about both the content and viewpoint of speech. In Arkansas
Public Television and in American Library Association, the Court
recognized that government expressive institutions are not forums.
Judicial review of the decisions made by the officials running these
institutions should be lenient -- if indeed these decisions should be
subject to judicial review at all.

It does not matter whether we are talking about librarian discretion,
editorial discretion, curricular discretion, or pedagogical discretion.
Teachers, librarians, and others simply can not do their jobs without
making choices that could render them vulnerable to claims of content
and viewpoint discrimination. Subjecting their decisions to strict
scrutiny on free speech clause grounds is impractical  -- and more
critically, it substitutes the judgment of the federal courts for value
based decisions that should be left to political determination --
except in the most egregious of situations.

The line the Court draws between content and viewpoint discrimination is
nowhere near clear enough to permit this distinction to be employed as a
basis for rigorously reviewing the decisions of people whose business it
is to make decisions about speech. And even if the line was clearer than
it is, rigorously reviewing viewpoint discriminatory decisions would
still make no sense because part of the job of these officials to make
distinctions based on viewpoint. This is particularly true when we are
talking about elementary schools where part of what teachers do is to
teach basic values, manners, morality and citizenship. There is nothing
neutral about favoring stories promoting honesty, for example.

If we took the argument seriously that viewpoint discriminatory
judgments by teachers regarding student speech is subject to strict
scrutiny review, the federal courts would become the de facto principals
and schools boards of every public school in the United States. It is
hard to believe that this suggestion is supported by conservatives who
claim to be advocates of judicial restraint.

Alan Brownstein
UC Davis

Hazelwood specifically limited itself to allowing schools greater leeway
to engage in subject matter restrictions.  It did not lift the
requirement that strict scrutiny continue to apply to the more invidious
censorship based on viewpoint (which, of course, includes religious
viewpoints).    So for example, in Searcey v. Harris, 888 F.2d 1314
(11th Cir. 1989), the Eleventh Circuit held:

Although Hazelwood provides reasons for allowing a school official to
discriminate based on content, we do not believe it offers any
justification for allowing educators to discriminate based on viewpoint.
The prohibition against viewpoint discrimination is firmly embedded in
first amendment analysis.  Without more explicit direction, we will
continue to require school officials to make decisions relating to
speech which are viewpoint neutral.

See also Planned Parenthood of Southern Nevada, Inc. v. Clark County
Sch. Dist., 941 F.2d 817, 829 (9th Cir. 1991) (en banc) (holding that
school newspaper, sporting event programs, and yearbook were
school-sponsored, non-public fora under Hazelwood and Cornelius, and
therefore "control over access . . . can be based on subject matter and
speaker identity so long as the distinctions drawn are reasonable in
light of the purpose served by the forum and are viewpoint neutral.")

Derek L. Gaubatz
Director of Litigation
The Becket Fund for Religious Liberty
1350 Connecticut Avenue, NW, Suite 605
Washington DC 20036
202 349-7208 (phone)
202 955-0090 (fax)

Alan what serious questions are you referring to?  It seems to me that
Judge Alito's position reflects the majority view of the courts of
appeals that  Hazelwood requires application of strict scrutiny to
viewpoint based censorship of student speech.