"The Defendants include the Dover Area School District (hereinafter
"DASD") and Dover Area School District Board of Directors (hereinafter "the
Board") (collectively "Defendants"). Defendant DASD is a municipal corporation
governed by a board of directors, which is the Board."

"Defendants' actions in violation of Plaintiffs' civil rights as guaranteed to
them by
the Constitution of the United States and 42 U.S.C. ยง 1983 subject Defendants to
liability with respect to injunctive and declaratory relief, but also for
nominal
damages and the reasonable value of Plaintiffs' attorneys' services and costs
incurred in vindicating Plaintiffs' constitutional rights."

"3. Because Plaintiffs seek nominal damages, Plaintiffs shall file with the
Court and serve on Defendants, their claim for damages and a verified
statement of any fees and/or costs to which they claim entitlement.
Defendants shall have the right to object to any such fees and costs to
the extent provided in the applicable statutes and court rules."

If "nominal damages," attorneys' fees, and costs qualify as damages, there are
damages.

Jim Maule

Marc Stern wrote:

> Were there any interveners? Might Discovery Institute intervene for
> purposes of appeal? .During the fight over equal access, the Supreme
>  Court held in Bender v. Williamsport ASD,475 US 534  that a single
> school board member did not have standing to appeal a decision to
> allow religious clubs .A fortiori former members should lack standing,
> unless ,perhaps they were sued in an individual capacity and held for
> damages.

The Foundation for Thought and Ethics attempted to intervene but was
denied. Discovery Institute did not attempt to intervene. This suit, as
far as I know, was only against the school district as a whole, not
against the individual members of the school board. There are no damages
awarded and none asked for. So I can't imagine there is anyone with
standing that could intervene at this point. The school board has said
that they will not file an appeal of the case.

Ed Brayton