There is only a difference between methodological naturalism and ontological naturalism if we are open to the possibility that there may be other methods of inquiry (besides naturalism) that could potentially lead to truth.

Take Dane's disclaimer -- that science "because it is a constrained discourse, it cannot claim, within its own four corners, to give us a full picture of Truth." If this is indeed inappropriate (does Professor Jamar mean unconstitutional?), then we really have crossed over into ontological naturalism.

Chris

From: Steven Jamar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics <religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu>
Subject: Re: Dover Case Questions
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 09:31:10 -0500

On Dec 22, 2005, at 9:05 AM, Perry Dane wrote:

Some scientists and philosophers -- folks like Richard Dawkins and Daniel Dennett most vocally lately -- argue that the conclusions of science, such as evolution, shred any possible basis for belief in God. Would it be constitutional for this sort of Dawkins/Dennett claim to be one of the propositions officially taught as a part of a science curriculum? I assume not. Would it be constitutional to tell students that there are no truths that are unamentable, in principle, to scientific study and verification? I assume not. (I'm not saying that these sorts of thing couldn't be discussed in public school classrooms.) All that some of us are arguing, then, is that it would be constitutional simply to advise students that the methodological naturalism built into scientific inquiry (and which properly excludes the teaching of "intelligent design theory" as a subject _within_ science) should not be taken for an official commitment to the ontological naturalism of folks like Dawkins and Dennett.

Wow! Your science teachers and students must be well ahead of the pack to understand the philosophy of science and concepts like methodological naturalism.

But the problem with your disclaimer is that methodological naturalism isn't religion and so no disclaimer is appropriate. Indeed, it would be, within the current context, just another undermining of the science teaching and learning that is happening. And we don't need any more of that.

I seriously doubt that HS science books make the entirely legitimate religious/philosophical argument that the conclusions of science point to the non-existence of god. I'll bet they avoid such stuff with great vigor.

In my experience with HS students, they do not need to be told that science is not everything!

Steve

--
Prof. Steven D. Jamar                               vox:  202-806-8017
Howard University School of Law                     fax:  202-806-8567

"In these words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on."

Robert Frost

Please note that messages sent to this large list cannot be viewed as private. Anyone can subscribe to the list and read messages that are posted; people can read the Web archives; and list members can (rightly or wrongly) forward the messages to others.