From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Marc Stern
Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2005 10:24 AM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: Dover Case Questions

I think Perry is right that the schools can, and should teach something along the lines he is suggesting- though I fit is not part of the high stakes  test ,no one will pay attention,- but I cannot agree with Doug that such a  statement if  ‘established in the public mind” would defuse the whole controversy” I think experience has shown that moderate  middle ground solutions do not defuse controversy; they seem to encourage ‘true believers of right ort left to try harder to achieve total victory. Look at the recent discussion on this list over whether the Equal Access Act is unconstitutional for not providing enough access for religious speakers from outside the school or the controversy over teaching the Bible; there now is a constitutional text available, and school boards, such as that of Odessa Texas seem willing to insist on an unconstitutional sectarian text

Marc   Stern