From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Marty Lederman
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 11:33 AM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Re: Breaking news in federal RFRA case

On the contrary:  The Court comes right out and says to the government:  "See, we told you this would happen -- that's why we decided Smith the way we did.  But you had to go ahead and pass RFRA anyway, so here's what you get . . . "

Well, this is how the Chief puts it, but I think the "You made your bed . . . " subtext is manifest:

We have no cause to pretend that the task assigned by Congress to the courts under RFRA is an easy one. Indeed, the very sort of difficulties highlighted by the Government here were cited by this Court in deciding that the approach later mandated by Congress under RFRA was not required as a matter of constitutional law under the Free Exercise Clause. See Smith, 494 U. S., at 885,890. But Congress has determined that courts should strike sensible balances, pursuant to a compelling interest test that requires the Government to address the particular practice at issue.