Sent: Saturday, March 11, 2006 5:12 PM
Subject: Re: Catholic Charities Not Bending the Knee to Baal

I don't want to argue Catholic (or Protestan)t theology on list.

Let me just say that many students of the Bible believe that it is not so much what the Bible says is evil that defines marriage as a one-flesh, dual-gender relationship. Rather, it is what the Bible says is the good of marriage and of true sexual union.

Are their any examples in the Bible in which same-sex "marriages" or homosexual families are  displayed as an ideal of sexual union and family life? In its adoption ministry, the Church is concerned about what is the good of family life for children, not whether to stone sinners for sexual sins.

Rick

Steven Jamar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I suppose it is about time to start stoning people to death as t! aught in the old testament . . . .

As noted by Bobby Lifkin, perhaps the gulf is just too wide.  Outsiders see gross and inexplicable inconsistencies that insiders see as obviously correct and consistent positions.

I think the Solomon Amendment is a good analogy in pointing out how one does not want to need to conform to norms established by the state or others -- but we do so -- The military exclusion of gays is somewhat like racial discrimination by private firms, but there are at least two differences:  private v. public; and it is the military.

Steve