Perhaps there is also a linkage between gay rights and religious liberty in the sense that both are largely about identity. Precisely because religious and sexual identity are not entirely immutable (although neither seems to be wholly a matter of unconstrained choice), the government can leverage people away from being who they, in a deep sense, really are.

I heard one gay-rights speaker once conclude by saying something like: "This is who I am; I can be no other." I don't honestly think she meant to sound like Martin Luther before Emperor Charles at the Diet of Worms ("I cannot, and I will not recant. Here I stand; I can do no other. God help me. Amen.") Perhaps she didn't even recognize the resemblance. But, there it is.

From: "Alan Brownstein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Law & Religion issues for Law Academics" <religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu>
Subject: RE: Catholic Charities Issue
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 20:45:50 -0800

Not only isn't it impossible to have both gay rights and religious liberty, the core of both sets of claims have common foundations. It makes no more sense for a gay activist to insist that a religious person should ignore the duties he or she owes to G-d (a duty that, I believe, arises out of love and principle) -- because the religious person can not reasonably be asked to do that -- than it does for a religious person to insist that a gay person should deny the love he (or she) shares with another person who he wants to spend his life with -- because the gay person can not reasonably be asked to do that.

Alan Brownstein