With respect, I think that you overreach.  It is true that there is a battle for the moral high ground, for the right to parade around saying that “my” morality is the controlling of legally sanctioned morality and “yours” is not.   (We experienced precisely this phenomenon in that great disaster known as National Prohibition. But this is hardly the stuff of persecution.  See Joseph Gusfield, Symbolic Crusade: Status Politics and the American Temperance Movement (1963).  Gusfield’s thesis overlooks other critical factors that were at play in the drive to National Prohibition.  But there is no doubt that National Prohibition was, at least in part, a moral crusade, i.e., many Drys had no great interest in strict enforcement of the Volstead Act.  It was enough for them that Dry morality had prevailed over Wet morality.  Of course the whole thing collapsed, largely for moral reasons, by the way.)   But it is a stretch to suppose that one side’s gaining the moral high ground and will lead to the religious persecution of the losers.  What is most striking about all of this, at the level of social realism, is that the only persecuting going on is visited by the Right on the Left, not the other way around.

Being “marginalized” and called a “homophobe” is not quite the same thing as having your brains beat in because you are gay.  To suppose that the two are morally equivalent is to make, with respect, a categorical error.

It is important to be very clear as to what the real stakes are in this particular culture war.  If the Religious Right wins, there is every reason to believe that gays will be subjected to an oppressive regime, with the imposition of a great deal of legal and extralegal force and violence – the lot of gay people throughout most of the nation’s history.  If the Left wins, the Religious Right simply loses bragging rights.  Not much else.  Note that Massachusetts is not forcing Catholic Charities to arrange for adoptions by gay parents.

Of course, if you mean by religious liberty the right to impose force and violence on gays, then, I suppose, you are right.  But the loss of that “liberty” offends me not at all.

I think the real issue has nothing to do with religious liberty, but rather the fear that a lot of people have that their children will be “converted” to homosexuality.  That fear is rooted in, I suspect, a correct perception that parenting in this country is in sad shape.  It really does no good to mischaracterize a problem of parenting as a problem of religious liberty, or to blame gay people for the evident failure of American parenting.