Mark Graber wrote:

This is confusing.  I (and I suspect Mr. Brayton) believe that the
catholic Chruch espouses a great many doctrines that I believe to be
immoral.  I nevertheless believe that the catholic Church has the right
to preach what I think are "ugly" doctrines and that Catholics have a
right to act on them in their private capacity.  We may dispute whether
running an adoption service falls into the public or private sphere (and
dispute whether "public/private" is the right dicotomy, but I take it
that a great many of us who support broad application of laws forbidding
discrimination against gays and lesbians nevertheless think that the
Church may ban gays and lesbians from joining the priesthood, taking
certain sacraments, however wrong we may think that is.
To go further, I also think they have the right not to facilitate gay adoptions if they choose. I would even go further than that and say that there is a potential middle ground in this case that I would have no problem with. I'd be okay with the state granting a religious exemption to Catholic Charities in this situation, allowing them to continue to facilitate adoptions but not by gay couples while also encouraging other groups to facilitate gay adoptions. That's a reasonable compromise that allows the Church to carry out its charity function without violating the tenets of their faith. But I don't think that means that their decision is immune from criticism. I think their decision, while being admirably consistent with their beliefs, is a terrible one that puts moral purity above the best interests of real children. I find that morally indefensible. However, it is still well within their rights to make such a decision. I can't force them to do what I think is right, but I don't think that means I can't criticize them for it.

Ed Brayton