Richard Dougherty wrote:

I happen to agree with Ed Brayton that tolerance does not mean immunity from
criticism, but I'm guessing many or most people would not.

But what does one call lecturing the Church on its own teachings?  Or the assertion that
its theology, grounded in 2000 years of teaching, is simply an "ugly political
agenda"?  Or telling the Church what is a matter of faith and what is not?

I call it criticism, of the same sort that would be aimed at any other set of ideas with which one disagrees. No idea is immune from criticism and it is simply absurd to pretend that criticism is equivalent to intolerance, particularly when the person making the criticism is also making an argument for exempting the behavior they are criticizing from the reach of a particular law. I am all for legally tolerating the Church's right to make this decision and, as I said, I would have no problem with allowing them to continue to so discriminate despite the state law in question. But I still think their decision is wrong and it isn't the least bit intolerant to state why I think that.

Ed Brayton