From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Gordon James
Klingenschmitt
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2008 4:51 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: Appeals Court Bans Prayer 'in Jesus' name'

Professors Lund and Essenberg seek the larger question, which I believe seems
to involve whether a government can pray, at all.  We all agree individuals can
pray, and the First Amendment protects individual speech by private citizens.
But can governments pray?

Justice O'Connor interpreted Simpson as precedent to mean that all speakers in
a government forum (even private pastors, but especially councilmembers) are
government agents doing government business while saying the prayer, not
private citizens offering a private petition that happens to be overheard by
the government.

Hence she believes the government is saying the prayer, not the person.

This cannot be true, because governments cannot say prayers unless they choose
a government-favored god.  When the government defines its own god, it has
established a preferred religion.  The non-sectarian god is favored over other
gods (Christian, Hindu, etc.), and the government publicly declares to all
citizens "our god is favored, and yours should all be excluded.  You can only
participate in this government-religious exercise if you bow your knee and pray
to the government's non-sectarian god."

The solution is for a court to state the obvious fact, that whenever a citizen
or public official or any person says a prayer, that during the moment of
religious worship, he or she CANNOT POSSIBLY be speaking as a government actor,
only as a private citizen speaking his own opinion in a government forum.

Perhaps the Supreme Court would take this, since it conflicts with Hinrichs v.
Bosma appeals court who recently permitted Jesus prayers in the Indiana
legislature.

The good news is, while affirming her 1) bogus non-sectarian policy, Justice
O'Connor also cleared the way for policies that allow 2) paid-chaplains to pray
according to their own faith (i.e. U.S. Congress policy), and 3) taking turns
among diverse beliefs of citizens (i.e. Tulsa Oklahoma policy, here:
http://www.persuade.tv/Frenzy12/TulsaPrayerPolicy.pdf )

So If Fredericksburg city council (or any other council) wished to adopt
policies 2 and 3 instead of 1, they would also be affirmed.  That's the silver
lining in O'Connor's cloud.

Again, my commentary on her entire decision, line-by-line, is here:
http://persuade.tv/Frenzy13/ONN13Jul08Annapolis.pdf

In Jesus,
Chaplain K.

Agreed, I'm interested in the larger question.