On Jul 24, 2008, at Thu, Jul 24,  7:37 PM, Gordon James
Klingenschmitt wrote:

> Ms. Jean Dudley exactly makes my point!  (Albeit in more colorful
> language :).
>
> Governments should not pray as governments, nor establish non-
> sectarian religion as "the government's favored religion" or "the
> government's favored non-sectarian god."
>
> ON THE CONTRARY, our form of government was established "to secure
> the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain
> and establish this Constitution for the United States of
> America..."  which means PROTECTING each citizen's right to speak
> their mind, and pray according to personal conscience, (even in
> government forums, even as public officials), taking turns with
> equal opportunity.

And this is where my esteemed colleague* Mr. Klingenschmitt and I
part company;  I personally believe that prayer has no place in
government forums.  Not even to take turns with equal opportunity.
If an ordained clergy cannot offer a non-sectarian prayer, they
exclude those members of the audience (there on government
business).  That is counter to the spirit of establishment clause.
Further, I see no reason why prayer should be included in any
government forum as part of the proceedings.  I'm of the mind that
what gods there may be watching would rather we use our own best
judgement rather than appealing to celestial parental figures for
guidance or blessings.

I find it disingenuous to claim that praying in Jesus' name is
banned;  It's happening all over America, and no one has gone to
prison for it that I'm aware of.   Finally, I'd like to suggest to
Mr. Klingenschmidt to read Matthew 6.  Note especially verse 6, and
that the example prayer does not contain the phrase "in Jesus'
name."  He might find this URL helpful : http://voiceofjesus.org/
whenyoupray1.html

Jean Dudley
*Ordained minister, and served in the US military for 9 years.  But
not as a chaplain.  My ministry was not funded by the US government
in any way.