Mark-- Thank you very much for your thoughtful response.  I do  respect
your position and understand that it is shared by others.

As I suppose is no surprise to anyone on this list, I take a different
view.  I think the two men are identically situated, because they are both
intent on imposing their religious views on the freedom of women.

You have posited the value of human life, but this is a sleight of hand
with the constitutional doctrine, no?  The Court's doctrine does not
recognize a constitutional interest in the fetus.  The woman, in contrast,  has
right to obtain a legal and medically advised abortion and to obtain
contraception.  So I cannot agree with your analysis of the interests  affected
here.  The fact a segment of our society claims that there is a  "life"
interest
in the fetus does not make it constitutionally relevant.

Why are we having a discussion about religious liberty that focuses
exclusively on the man's asserted need to avoid driving a woman to Planned
Parenthood (where the odds are that she is NOT getting an abortion) but paying
so
little heed to the liberty of the woman?   In my view, it is  because
religious liberty discourse in the United States often puts the believer  in a
spotlight, and low lights all other societal interests in the  background.
That is a mistake that undermines the sum  of liberty.

No discussion about conscientious objection regarding abortion and
contraception should take place without taking the woman's constitutional
rights
into account.  When the focus is expanded, we see that he has at most an
attenuated right/interest (no on is asking him to obtain an abortion or
contraception for himself or his fellow believers or to condone his
passenger's
actions), while she has a legitimate right.   A refusal to transport her,
assuming that she would be transported  otherwise to any other location in the
system, looks like an undue burden to  me.  It also appears that the
government is being asked to favor his  religious world view at the expense of
her
religious (don't forget her actions  are being taken in light of her
religious beliefs, which permit her to go to  Planned Parenthood) and privacy
rights.

I assume that you would respond that her rights are not relevant so long as
 a replacement driver is available.  I continue to doubt that is a feasible
 plan for public transportation, and so if he had a Title VII right to
avoid  driving her, it would burden her.  Either she would have to wait or,
worse,  she would have to be ostracized by his publicly drawing attention to
her
intent  to go to Planned Parenthood.  And my guess is that accommodating
him is infeasible, as the settlement an agreement requires that he not seek
another job with the authority.

I take these issues extremely seriously.  Looking globally, there is  no
more threat to freedom right now than male-dominated religious hierarchies
intent on subjugating women (which historically entails the further
subjugation of children).   We will lose the huge achievements for  women and
children in the United States if we fail to take into account  their
victimization
through an aggressive religious liberty doctrine that  focuses solely on the
man without reference to the woman's (or  child's) interests.

Marci

Marci A. Hamilton
Paul R. Verkuil Chair in Public Law
Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law
Yeshiva University

In a message dated 4/26/2011 12:47:32 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,