I've read this long thread with interest.  Marci's post evokes some questions
from me, as do some of the broader questions raised by the thread.
With respect to Marci's post, I confess I am uncertain why this case is
presented as an example of men imposing their religious views on the freedom of
women.  Women who are nurses have refused to participate in abortion
procedures; I assume women who are bus drivers might also object to being asked
to drive women to Planned Parenthood, rightly or wrongly and with or without a
right of accommodation.  Whether a statutory regime of religious accommodation
is "aggressive" or not, and whether it is good or bad, it does not focus solely
on men without regard to the rights and interests of women (or other men, or
customers and operators of common carriers for that matter).  Whether the facts
of this particular case constitute "victimization," and for whom, are likewise
separate questions.
It also strikes me as possible, but odd and perhaps a little unsettling, that
we perform our constitutional or statutory calculus in this case by comparing
the driver's "attenuated right/interest" against the woman's "legitimate
right."  For one thing, that seems to me to assume the point in question:
whether he has a constitutional (or statutory) right at stake or not.
Moreover, even if he loses, it seems to me his loss has more to do with the
details of reasonable accommodation law than with balancing "interests" against
"legitimate rights."  Would the driver be entitled to an accommodation if he
had strong religious objections to Planned Parenthood, and the woman merely
wanted to buy a PP shirt at the gift shop?  Again, I think the answer to that
question would have to do with the scope of accommodation law, not with the
competing interests in question as such.  But if we were to undertake such a
calculus, and to suppose that anyone with a mere personal "interest" that comes
up against a societally "legitimate" interest loses, I wonder how we should
treat conscientious objector cases.  Of course the two cases are not the same;
more may be immediately at stake for the conscientious objector.  But if we
agree that society has a legitimate interest in its armed forces, and the
conscientious objector is interfering with this legitimate interest by refusing
to serve in the armed forces, wouldn't we be obliged to conclude that he or she
must serve?
This leads to a broader question about this dialogue.  In earlier post, Marci
complains that there is no principled dividing line between two different cases
she mentions.  This seems consistent with her general writing about religious
accommodations as (forgive my crude summary) problematic from the perspective
of the rule of law.  I see something of the same motivation in the urge in the
post I'm responding to here that we sharply distinguish between interests and
rights, and that the failure to do so "undermines the sum of liberty."  Like
Mark, however, I must quote Holmes, this time to the effect that life is
painting pictures, not doing sums.  Although I've written critically about the
rule of law before, I certainly accept the general value of the rule of law.
But I am not convinced it necessarily entails -- or if it does, that it
necessarily can achieve -- a mechanical, clockwork nature.  That the
possibility of principled dividing lines may be difficult if not impossible in
these cases seems to me to be cause for concern, but not an automatic trump.
The rule of law is a mutt, not a purebred.  Procedural values like
predictability count, but so do substantive values (and they *are* substantive
values) like liberty and equality.  They don't yield to precise measures, in my
view.
Finally, I am still curious whether the difference between extortion and
settlement has really been settled here.  For one thing, it's not an either/or
question; it can be both at the same time.  For another, it doesn't seem to me
to answer any really important questions of the kinds that have been raised in
this discussion.  Finally, to the extent that it's just a way of trying to get
at the question of what the sound legal result should be in such a case, I
don't see how it sheds much light on that substantive question.  If I think
that the Pledge of Allegiance, or a legislative prayer said at the beginning of
a town council meeting, is both unconstitutional and of little moment to the
vast majority of the audience and only some moment to the objectors, is a
settlement that involves forcing the school or council to change its practices,
and awarding attorneys' fees to the plaintiff, a settlement or extortion?
Surely calling it one or the other is really just a way of expressing our views
about the substance of the law.
Paul HorwitzUniversity of Alabama