The KKK example is interesting, but I think it works because
it’s so striking:  Our initial reaction is that surely the KKK teacher can be
fired, but I think that reaction is partly driven by the judgment that the KKK
teacher is so sui generis.  Shouldn’t we sacrifice this little bit of teacher
freedom, in order to prevent racial tension at the school?

                Now perhaps the answer is yes, but that answer is especially
appealing only to the extent that this is indeed a sui generis scenario.  Once
this decision becomes used as a precedent for punishing teachers for saying
that they’re disgusted by same-sex marriage, then we’re talking about a
considerably broader speech restriction.  And if this extension of the KKK hypo
by analogy works, where will it stop?  What if the teacher didn’t say “I almost
threw up” and “cesspool,” but simply said that same-sex marriages were sinful
(which he did say) or evil?

The danger, it seems to me, is that the emerging rule – certainly as
practically understood and internalized by speakers, but also as applied by
government employers – would end up being that all criticism of same-sex
marriage or of homosexuality could lead to government discipline.  (After all,
the analogy between such criticism and the Buell statement is closer than the
analogy between the KKK organizer hypo and the Buell statement.)  And that
brings up the question I asked:  How should we then consider the value of the
restricted speech to speakers and to society, in applying the Pickering
balance, if indeed the speech restriction tends to deter government employee
speech on one side of such a topic?

Eugene