While there is a lot of merit in what Eugene writes, it seems to me that he is
identifying three arguments in support of the ministerial exemption:

1. It has strong historical roots.

2. There is a freedom of association dimension to it.

3. It is very circumscribed in its scope and involves far less judicial
intrusion into executive and legislative decisions.

All are valid points. But I'm not sure they adequately distinguish why this
particular set of religious decisions gets constitutional protection while
others do not.

1. Other religious exemptions have strong historical roots.

2. Many individual religious practices have an expressive dimension and
communicate the beliefs and commitment of the believer. Is the right of
expressive associations to choose their leaders more deserving of protection
than the right of individuals and congregations to express their beliefs
through religious worship and practice? And if the expressive associational
dimension of religious groups choosing their leader is part of the foundation
of this decision, one might argue that freedom of speech and association
doctrine undermine the claim that organizations expressing a particular
viewpoint (here, religious beliefs) should receive greater protection against
government regulations than organizations expressing an alternative viewpoint
(secular ideas).

3. One could draw other narrow zones protecting religious decisions and
practice that limit judicial intrusion into legislative and executive authority.

Let me be clear that I am not suggesting that the Court was incorrect in
recognizing a ministerial exemption.  (I think it was correct in doing so.) And
it may be that the historical foundation for such an exemption is so strong
that it can be distinguished from any traditionally recognized exemption for
religious individuals or congregations.  But I think there is more to this
argument than the three very relevant points that Eugene identifies or that are
captured by the terms "physical acts" and "internal church governance."

Alan Brownstein