It may well be that there were specifically anti-Muslim
statements made in the Target controversy that Greg describes.  But it seems to
me that, in general, the analogy between religious objections and medical
objections tends to be somewhat overstated.  (I thought the same of the Third
Circuit Judge Alito opinion in Fraternal Order of Police v. City of Newark.)

For instance, I imagine that many an employer will gladly give employees
extended leave for serious illness, perhaps even weeks’ worth of paid leave and
months’ worth of unpaid leave.  Does it follow that it must give the same leave
to people who want to go on a months-long religious pilgrimage?  Likewise, an
employee might make many accommodations for employees whose medical conditions
make it impossible for them to do a certain job, even when that involves a far
greater than de minimis cost.  The employee might be required to do so by
disability law, but might sometimes simply choose to do that in order to help
someone who is sick or injured.  Does it follow that it must make similarly
high-cost accommodations for religious employees?

I don’t think so.  It seems to me that an employer can reasonably conclude
that, as a general matter, health-based objections are less likely to be
broadly shared (there will be fewer cashiers with peanut allergies than Muslim
cashiers, at least in areas with a high density of Muslim immigrants), and less
likely to be perceived as slights even by unbiased customers.  No customer who
notices that a cashier refuses to handle peanut products will take that as a
personal slight; but even customers who aren’t hostile to Islam as such might
perceive religious objection to the handling of pork or alcohol as a statement
that the customer’s religious beliefs are (in the cashier’s view) wrong, or
that the customer’s eating habits are “unclean” and drinking habits are
unwholesome.

And beyond this, it seems to me quite permissible (though not the only
permissible view) for an employer to conclude that undoubted, scientifically
provable medical risk deserves more accommodation than subjective, individually
felt religious belief.  Moreover, when it comes to legal compulsion, I would
think (see TWA v. Hardison) that imposing the costs of one person’s religious
practice on others raises objections that are more serious than just imposing
the costs of one person’s disability on others would.

Or am I mistaken on these things, and employers who generously provide
substantial accommodations for those who are sick, allergic, or disabled must
provide equally substantial accommodations for those who have religious
objections?

Eugene

Greg Sisk writes:

And given that this episode occurred at the same time that Muslim cashiers at
Target asked not to be required to handle pork, it was fell into a context in
which simple accommodations offered to others – such as allowing a cashier
allergic to peanuts not to handle peanuts or peanut butter – became the subject
of vehement public objection when Muslims were asking for the same kind of
thing.