Thanks - I much appreciate the kind words!

From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Alan Brownstein
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2012 8:07 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: Religious exemptions in ND

Very well stated, Eugene. My compliments.

Alan

________________________________
From:
religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu<mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu>
[religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] on behalf of Volokh, Eugene
[vol...@law.ucla.edu]
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2012 7:24 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
                Folks:  Again, perhaps it might be good to avoid the rhetoric
and focus on the serious issues involved.  American law has long valued both
equality and accommodation of religious beliefs.   For many decades, it has
valued equality in treatment by many nongovernmental actors (and incidentally
in requiring certain nongovernmental actors to accommodate religious beliefs,
but that isn't involved here).  The ACLU has likewise long valued both equality
and accommodation of religious beliefs.

The difficulty is that the two often conflict.  Sometimes the legal system
deals with this conflict by categorically prioritizing liberty (from government
intrusion) over equality of treatment by nongovernmental actors.  For instance,
the government may not tell people not to discriminate in marriage, or, I take
it, in choice of friends, and no state laws purport to do that.  The government
may not bar parade organizers from discriminating against gay-themed floats,
and (more controversially) may not bar the Boy Scouts from discriminating
against gay scoutmasters.  The Ninth Circuit recently interpreted California
fair housing law as leaving people free to discriminate in choice of roommates,
in part because of constitutional concerns.

Likewise, statutes often don't regulate even behavior that they
constitutionally may regulate.  The Civil Rights Act of 1964, for instance,
left the vast majority of businesses and professionals free to choose whom to
deal with as customers; it defined regulated places of public accommodation
quite narrowly.  Many state laws, though, have provided far broader coverage
for the equality mandate, thus diminishing the business owners' liberty (and,
in the process, religious liberty).

Other times the legal system deals with this conflict by categorically
prioritizing equality of treatment over liberty; for instance, to my knowledge
courts have consistently rejected religious exemption claims from employment
discrimination laws, outside the context of (1) ministerial positions and (2)
statutory exemptions (for instance, exemptions for religious institutions from
bans on discrimination based on religion, and in some states based on sexual
orientation).

Still other times, though rarely, courts have carved out religious exemptions
under RFRAs and similar state constitutional exemption regimes; to my
knowledge, this has only happened with regard to housing discrimination based
on marital status.

How to resolve this is not, I think, easily answered either with assertions
that "equality is a core American value" or that "religious freedom is a basic
American value," or claims that the ACLU doesn't "value[] religious liberty"
"for conservative faiths."  My sense is that we need to talk more specifically
and concretely about the arguments for and against respecting equality and
liberty in each instance.  (For instance, the argument for letting taxi cab
drivers discriminate based on passengers' consumption of alcohol - a right that
most other businesses enjoy, since it doesn't involve discrimination based on
the passenger's religion, race, etc. - is different from the argument for
letting landlords refuse to rent to atheists or from the argument for letting
photographers choose which kinds of expressive works to create.)

My sense is that it might also be helpful to talk about the level of law at
which a religious exemption regime is enacted.  A state statutory RFRA leaves
the state legislature free to decide that some laws (including
antidiscrimination laws) should be exempted from the RFRA, and to effectively
overturn the results of court decisions that grant exemptions.  A state
constitutional RFRA doesn't do that.  A federal statutory RFRA that binds state
governments, and a federal Sherbert/Yoder regime, make it even harder for
legislatures who feel strongly about the need for an exemption-less equality
rule to implement those views into law.