From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Paul Horwitz
Sent: Monday, July 09, 2012 5:35 AM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: Equivocal evidence, and the right to choose

I am also curious about roughly the same point Howard raises. I always value
the doctrine- and act-specific discussions I get on this list--I learn a great
deal from them, and the theory I can more or less do on my own. But these
discussions often seem to me to be just one step away from fairly major and
consequential statements or assumptions about the underlying theory. So what is
driving Eugene's paragaph (2), or some of the other statements (not just from
Eugene) that have taken place in the course of this valuable discussion? Is it
a moral intuition? A belief, as the paragraph below indicates, both that we
have a "secular legal system" and about what that entails? A belief about the
Constitution itself and what it requires? A belief in a wholly individualist
and voluntarist conception of the self as a legal subject? A kind of
implication that the Constitution enacts Mill's On Liberty or Joel Feinberg's
work and not, say, Charles Taylor's work? A thin or thick conception of what
"harm" means? A belief about the relevance or irrelevance of history,
tradition, community, the sources of or proper occasions for thick commitments?

I appreciate that these are large questions. And in many particular fact-based
cases what I loosely call my common-sense intuitions *might* comport with
Eugene's views. But it seems to me, as I wrote earlier, that there are some
fairly large theoretical commitments guiding those intuitions here and that
they are reasonably subject to questioning.

Paul Horwitz
University of Alabama School of Law