Fortunately, the question here is far, far removed from whether the state
can or should require anyone to perform an abortion, or to kill in battle.
It is, instead, whether the state can require employers to take some of the
money they would have used to pay employee salaries, or taxes -- some of
which would foreseeably have been used to pay for contraception (or even
abortions, in the case of salaries), anyway -- and instead use it to
partially subsidize an insurance plan that, like salaries and taxes, is
used to pay for countless goods and services, some of which involve
contraception, but only when someone else (the employee) chooses to use it
for that purpose.  (FWIW, I believe the law does not allow HHS to require
plans to cover abortions, and the Rule therefore does not do so.)

Doug, a couple of your posts here have suggested that even in the cases of
salaries and taxes being used for contraception, there is a substantial
burden on the religious exercise of objectors, but one that might be
overcome by a compelling government interest.  For anyone who starts from
that view, the HHS would certainly raise a harder question.  But I am not
aware of any employer, or Catholic theologian, who takes the view that the
payment of taxes or salaries is wrongful just because the employer knows
that they will be put to use for contraception and (in the case of
salaries) abortions . . . and many other things, besides, that are wrongful
in the eyes of the employer.

Thus the question here is whether the state ought to take at face value the
assertions of some employers that the moral obligation changes dramatically
when the money is used for partial subsidization of an insurance plan,
rather than for taxes or salaries.  I actually think this is a complex
question, as to which I deeply appreciate the many thoughtful views others
have contributed to this thread.  But whatever the merits of that
distinction, the case is a far cry from compelling the employer "to kill
another human being."