From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Marty Lederman
Sent: Monday, October 01, 2012 5:28 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Re: Court Rejects Religious Liberty Challenges To ACA
Mandate--interpreting "substantial burden"

Thanks for the clarification, Doug.  I had missed that particular part of the
exchange.

On the distinction you suggest, I think that the characterization of the
requirement as "purchasing a package of services" does not fairly describe
what's going on here.  Or at the very least, this is nothing like what comes to
mind when one hears that phrase -- such as the employer hiring a contractor to
paint the walls, install new fixtures, etc.

The Rule requires the employer to make available to its employees a group
health plan.  (In fact, not even that -- the employer can instead make a
payment to the government, a payment that Robin Wilson suggested at our
Conference would typically be much less than the cost of the employer's portion
of the plan premiums.)  The law does not even require the employer to pay
premiums into the plan, although that might end up being a practical necessity,
since the plan must be one that is "affordable" to the employees, which in most
cases will presumably not include a plan subsidized entirely by employee
premiums.

So let's assume for sake of argument that as a practical matter the Rule
requires employers to pay a certain premium to the insurance company.  (I'm
putting aside here the serious question of whether the alternative payment to
the Fed changes the burden analysis.)  That premium does not pay for a "package
of services" to the employer.  It pays to partly subsidize (in part) an
enormously wide range of goods and services -- virtually any related to health
-- that will be used only if and when the employees need them and choose to use
them.  (And even then, the employer will never know which services were used.)