If I understand the Catholic doctrine, Doug, in your hypothetical the
church will have *chosen* to save the $200,000 by having the kids dumped.
That would be a form of (presumptively prohibited) formal cooperation with
evil.

But here, the state has eliminated the choice.  (Well, not quite -- because
the employer can still make the payment to the government instead of
offering the insurance plan.  But let's assume for sake of argument that
it's a flat requirement, or that the level of payment make noncompliance
unrealistic.)  And that makes a huge difference for purposes of Catholic
(and most other) moral reasoning, because now we're asking the question *not
* of whether your *volitional choice* was impermissible (as in your hypo),
but instead whether your proximity to the evil, in and of itself, is so
great that your cooperation is immoral *even though you were
well-intentioned*.

You're right, of course, that the fact that coverage is legally mandated
can't categorically eliminate the prospect of a substantial burden, because
in that case there'd never be a valid RFRA claim.  So, for example, a
religion might teach that *certain *action is immoral, even if done under
duress -- indeed, even if done under threat of criminal sanction.  In such
a case, a state law requiring the conduct surely imposes a substantial
burden on religious exercise, at least if the person in question otherwise
is committed to abiding by that norm.

But in most cases, including this one, the fact of legal compulsion does
radically alter the moral calculus, because it eliminates the principal
thing that made the conduct in your hypo wrongful, namely, the *choice* to
sacrifice the kids for $200,000 savings.

Suppose, for example, that in City A, taxi drivers have complete discretion
which fares to accept, and a taxi driver who believes that prostitution is
immoral chooses to prefer fares going to so-called houses of ill-repute,
because they much more remunerative (because of distance, clientele,
whatever).  That choice would be a violation of the norm against formal
cooperation with evil.

City B, however, has decided to treat cab drivers as common carriers --
they must accept all fares, no matter the destination.  Our same cab
driver, thinking that prostitution is unlawful, but now working in City B,
abides by the law, picks up all fares without discrimination . . . and
occasionally finds himself being asked to drop the passenger at a so-called
house of ill-repute, a request that (like all others) he honors.  In this
case, he has performed exactly the same act as he did in City A, but this
time, he has not violated religious tenets.

Seems to be that in most material respects, the HHS Rule is more like my
taxi driver in City B -- or the taxpayer in any jurisdiction -- than like
your hypo of a Church that would gladly leave kids on the street in order
to save a few bucks.