From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Marty Lederman
Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2012 4:57 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Cc: M Cathleen Kaveny
Subject: Re: Court Rejects Religious Liberty Challenges To ACA
Mandate--interpreting "substantial burden"

Doug:  Is it actually the case that "the bishops say these rules are too
important to them for a following orders defense to provide moral
justification"?  That is to say, have the bishops, or any other Catholic
authority, actually articulated the view that a Catholic employer will
engage in forbidden proximate material cooperation with evil if it complies
with the HHS Rule?  And if so, have they provided any explanation of why
that is the case here and not, e.g., in the cases of paying taxes and
salaries, or in the case of my hypothetical "common carrier" taxi driver who
takes a woman to a clinic for an abortion?

I'm not saying there have been no such statements -- I simply haven't heard
them, and would be very grateful to be pointed to any such statement.

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Douglas Laycock <dlayc...@virginia.edu>