From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Volokh, Eugene
Sent: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 3:31 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Rights of corporations and RFRAs

        I've long thought that corporate rights make sense only to the extent
that they are useful for stand-ins for the rights of people.  (I support
Citizens United precisely because of that.)

        And when it comes to closely held corporations, whose owners claim an
objection to participating in some activity, including by paying for it or
allowing it on their property, there are indeed rights of people involved.

        A simple hypothetical:  A law requires that all retail stores sell
lottery tickets.  A store is owned by a corporation, which is in turn owned by
(say) two brothers; they believe that gambling is a sin, and that facilitating
gambling is a sin.  (In that respect they are like Thomas in Thomas v. Review
Bd., who believed not only that he shouldn't go to war, but also that he
shouldn't help in warmaking.)  The requirement, it seems to me, burdens their
religious practice, even though they own their business through a corporate
form.

        The corporate form is indeed a legal fiction, which is why I think
corporate rights should only be recognized a stand-ins for the rights of
people.  But for the same reason burdens on people's religious practice
shouldn't be ignored by the law by invoking the fiction that the gas station
isn't really owned by the brothers but is instead owned by the corporation.

        The only question, I think, should be whether the brothers would have
to sue under the relevant state RFRA in their own names, pointing to the burden
that the lottery sales mandate imposes on them, or whether they could have the
lawsuit be filed in the name of the corporation.  But the bottom-line result
should be that the owners of the closely held corporation could indeed assert a
RFRA claim, whichever way it's done.