For those who are interested in the NC case, this is not the first time that
the issue has been raised.  The North Carolina state courts previously
addressed a challenge to NCGS 51-6 and 51-7 brought by the following plaintiffs
(among others):

"(2) three ministers who do not wish to have the marriages they perform
licensed and registered, two of whom also are willing to solemnize the
marriages of same-sex couples; (3) same-sex domestic partners who desire to
have a ceremonial, non-religious marriage registered in the state; (4) same-sex
domestic partners who desire to have a ceremonial, religious marriage
registered in the state; (5) a heterosexual couple who desired to have a
religious ceremonial marriage, but were unwilling to be married pursuant to a
state issued license because they both were permanently and totally disabled
and were receiving Medicaid benefits that would be cut off if they married
pursuant to a state license; and (6) an unmarried, heterosexual man who may
wish to marry a woman in the future, but who does not wish to participate in
any type of state-required ceremony."

In April 2012, the trial court granted the NC Attorney General's motion to
dismiss on the grounds that:

"Plaintiffs have not alleged any waiver of sovereign immunity by either
defendant and have not alleged that the Defendant Attorney General has taken or
threatened to take any particular action against any of them pursuant to any of
those provisions of Chapter 51. Plaintiffs seek no monetary damages or
injunctive relief."

The case was affirmed on appeal (Thigpen v. Cooper, 739 S.E.2d 165 (2013)).  It
seems to me that the federal court can easily follow the holding of Thigpen and
the plain language of the statute rather than addressing the constitutional
issues involved.

Will

Will Esser --- Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam
Charlotte, North Carolina

"You are anxious and worried about many things.
There is need of only one thing."  Luke 10:41-42

On Saturday, May 10, 2014 7:36 PM, Skip L'Heureux <s...@queenschurches.org>