I agree with Alan's statement below, stated better than I did. I would add that we now do/should include the nones within the system.

                   Jon

On 2014-06-08 22:36, Alan Brownstein wrote:
If divisive means that people will be upset by a substantive decision
than Eugene is clearly correct. I have always thought the issue was
whether a decision was one that provoked political divisions along
religious lines in the sense that if government could promote religion (or interfere with religion) religious groups would have an additional
incentive to organize and mobilize as religious groups in order to
make sure that it was their faith that the government promoted and
that it was not their faith that was subject to government
interference. Placing a church-state issue beyond the scope of
political decision-making by subjecting it to constitutional
constraints avoided (or at least mitigated) these kinds of
political/religious divisions.

There is probably a better term for this concern than divisiveness.

Alan Brownstein