Sorry to go way back in time to yesterday, but Chip wrote

"The problem now is not divisiveness, per se.  Like any controversial
Supreme Court decision, some will hate it and others will love it.
 Inevitably, these folks will be divided by their disagreement.

The problem is legitimacy.  Free exercise standards, pre-Smith, were
incredibly plastic -- sometimes you got Yoder, Thomas, or Frazee, and
sometimes you got Goldman, O'Lone, Lyng, and Smith itself (O'Connor's
concurrence).  RFRA codifies the regime of Sherbert-Yoder, but that has
proven in the lower courts to be equally plastic at every turn.  What is a
substantial burden, a compelling interest, a less restrictive means?  Does
RFRA restore U.S. v Lee, including its dictum about commercial actors
accepting relevant regulatory regimes?  Does it restore Braunfeld v. Brown?
 (See the Kagan -- Clement colloquy at oral argument about what RFRA
"restores.")"

Since then, a few replies in the thread have measured legitimacy by
consistency, and it seems to me that this is an assumption shared by this
list and many academics and public interest lawyers in general.

Worrying about the legitimacy of the Court is definitely the correct worry,
but legitimacy to who? With my apologies, but not regrets, it isn't the
class of academics, op-ed writers, pundits, and other professional
opinion-havers. The Court needs to be viewed as legitimate by the public
first and foremost and the lawyers, clients, and support staff that
function throughout the judicial system as a close second. While the views
of the public and system actors will be shaped by academics and the press,
in my experience the man-on-the-street is fairly willing to accept that
different cases will justly result in different results. Even when struck
with some sort of sub-optimal decision, most of them shrug it off the same
way I shrug off the effect of bad referee calls in sports I don't follow
(that is, all of them).

A predictable system is preferable to an unpredictable system if and only
if all else is equal, but in the messy world of facts the most predictable
systems are often the most cruel. Americans demand both the uniform
fairness of technocratic numbers and the nuanced sensitivity of a human
decision maker. So long as the Court continues to spend so much effort and
so many pages combing through precedent to justify their decisions, I
suspect the public will be convinced enough. I too have strong opinions on
how the case ought to shake out, but I've yet to see a compelling reason to
be afraid that this is the decision that will sink the legitimacy of the
court to the public in general, or any segment of it.

-Kevin Chen