Lord knows Doug and I have plenty of differences on this case, but on this
one we agree, at least roughly speaking.  The directors may have a duty to
act in the corporations' interests . . . but they are also the ones here
who decide what those interests are.  There are no stockholders to whom
they owe a fiduciary duty.  Accordingly, if they freely chose to run the
corporation in a way that violated their own religious tenets, well, then,
they would have violated their religious tenets.

The real problem in this respect for the Greens is that they have few if
any decisions to make here -- the preventive services are required *by law*
if the Greens choose for HL to offer an employee insurance plan.

However, as I've been stressing, they *do* have to decide whether HL will
provide a health plan at all . . . and *that *decision might implicate
their perceived religious obligations.

More to this effect toward the end of my post:

http://balkin.blogspot.com/2014/01/hobby-lobby-part-v-whose-religious.html