From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu [religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu]
on behalf of Volokh, Eugene [vol...@law.ucla.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2014 8:09 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: Hobby Lobby Question

               The Court also said that there’s a compelling government
interest in preventing race discrimination in employment, even though there are
literally millions of people who are exempted from Title VII (since they work
for employers who have fewer than 15 employees).  Is such gross underinclusion
relevant to the issue of compelling interest?  If so, does it keep the interest
from being compelling, and entitle religiously objecting employers with more
than 15 employees to an exemption from Title VII?

               The Court has also said that there’s a compelling government
interest in collecting federal income taxes, even though there are literally
millions of people who pay no net federal income tax.  Is such gross
underinclusion relevant to the issue of compelling interest, to the point that
people who object to paying certain kinds of taxes are entitled to an exemption
from federal text law?

               The Court has also rejected a claim of religious exemption from
the draft (for people who oppose only unjust wars, and therefore aren’t
entitled to a statutory exemption), and has been understood as saying that
there’s a compelling government interest in raising armies, even though there
are literally tens of millions of people who aren’t eligible for the draft.  Is
such gross underinclusion relevant to the issue of compelling interest, to the
point that people who object to unjust wars really are entitled to a draft
exemption?

               Eugene