From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu [religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu]
on behalf of Berg, Thomas C. [tcb...@stthomas.edu]
Sent: Monday, June 30, 2014 4:12 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: Hobby Lobby Question

The majority opinion gives ammunition to the plaintiffs in the nonprofit cases
by reemphasizing that when the plaintiffs determine that a certain complicity
violates their beliefs, the courts shouldn't find that too attenuated to be a
burden.

On the other hand, Kennedy in his concurrence emphasizes the nonprofit (the
insurer-pays) accommodation generally as the solution, and he seems not
particularly enamored of the nonprofits' argument that the government can just
pay for contraception with a new funding program. (The majority discussed that
argument approvingly, and Kennedy joined the majority opinion in full; so it's
one of those questions about parsing the opinion of a swing justice who also
joined the majority opinion.)

So isn't the Court pointing toward some form of the nonprofit accommodation
with a different trigger. Are there reasons why the government can't adopt as a
trigger the simple notice to HHS, the solution the Court adopted in the stay
order in the Little Sisters case? Or was the government just waiting to see if
it would win in Hobby Lobby?

Thomas C. Berg
James L. Oberstar Professor of Law and Public Policy
University of St. Thomas School of Law
MSL 400, 1000 LaSalle Avenue
Minneapolis, MN   55403-2015
Phone: 651 962 4918