not serve a compelling interest and (2) in constitutional free exercise
cases, where the argument is made that underinclusion renders a law
non-neutral and/or non-generally applicable, and thus subject to strict
scrutiny.

In the for-profit contraception cases, there was a possibility, albeit
remote, that the Court would address both of these underinclusion arguments
(in addition to the parties' RFRA claims, Conestoga Wood's free exercise
claim was before the Court and it explicitly made underinclusion argument
#2 with respect to that claim). The Court, of course, ended up resolving
neither underinclusion argument, although it did send some signals in dicta
that it was open to argument #1.

I believe that the most prominent pending case raising argument #2 is *Stormans
v. Selecky*, which was originally scheduled for oral argument before the
Ninth Circuit last fall, but was held for the Supreme Court's decision
in *Hobby
Lobby*. Are folks aware of any other pending cases raising argument #2?

As for argument #1, presumably it will continue to play a prominent role in
the many non-profit contraception cases still working their way through the
pipeline. Like Alan and Eugene, I find the argument unpersuasive, but in
light of the dicta in *Hobby Lobby*, I would expect advocates for the
non-profits to press it vigorously.

- Jim