I very much appreciate Doug's post and his reference to Town of Greece.
 The Becket Fund, which has very ably represented Hobby Lobby and others in
the contraceptive cases, insists that it is committed to "religious
liberty."  (Likewise many on this list.) But in Town of Greece, the Becket
Fund filed an amicus brief on the side of the Town; it was aligned not with
religious liberty, but rather with the power of government to shove prayer
in the face of citizens who wanted to interact with elected officials
without having to endure a worship exercise for someone else's faith.   If
this is our constitutional tradition, as many argued, it is not a tradition
of religious liberty.

On Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 1:01 AM, Douglas Laycock <dlayc...@virginia.edu>
wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Jul 2014 11:02:00 -0700
>  "Scarberry, Mark" <mark.scarbe...@pepperdine.edu> wrote:
>

> * * * *
> Christians died rather than burn a pinch of incense to the emperor.
>

> Yes they did. A point they entirely forget as they impose brief Christian
> prayer services on their fellow citizens at public meetings, and insist
> that it's no big deal to go through of motions of praying to a God you
> don't believe in.
>
> Douglas Laycock
> Robert E. Scott Distinguished Professor of Law
> University of Virginia Law School
> 580 Massie Road
> Charlottesville, VA  22903
>      434-243-8546

Ira C. Lupu
F. Elwood & Eleanor Davis Professor of Law, Emeritus
George Washington University Law School
2000 H St., NW
Washington, DC 20052
(202)994-7053
Co-author (with Professor Robert Tuttle) of "Secular Government, Religious
People" (forthcoming, summer 2014, Wm. B. Eerdmans Pub. Co.)
My SSRN papers are here:
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=181272#reg