Cardozo wrote that sometimes he had trouble deciding cases then the answer
would just come to him while walking down the street - -and then he had to put
that insight into the legal framework we accept as proper.  Surely the same is
true today on major cases and even in cases where the result is certain for
extra-legal reasons (dislike of women, dislike of Catholics, dislike of big
government, dislike of Obama, dislike of homosexuals, etc.) the court takes
pains to put the case into the generally accepted discourse structures we are
all so familiar with.  Indeed, this discourse style has even been cited in
cases as one of the institutional constraints on pure personal bias-driven
results.

Few closely contested cases are decided for the reasons the court gives.  Does
anyone really buy secondary effects analysis as not-content-based?  yet the
court used that as the fig leaf to cover its foray so as to try to mess with
standard freedom of expression jurisprudence as little as possible in other
contexts.

Steve

--
Prof. Steven D. Jamar                     vox:  202-806-8017
Director of International Programs, Institute for Intellectual Property and

"I am in Birmingham because injustice is here. . . . Injustice anywhere is a
threat to justice everywhere."

Martin Luther King, Jr., (1963)