Thanking Step Feldman for his mention, the empirical studies that Michael
Heise, Andrew Morriss, and I have conducted on religious liberty decisions in
the federal courts did indeed find that religion was an important factor on
Free Exercise decisions - but it tended to the religion of the claimant that
mattered the most.

For the 1986-1995 period, we found that traditionalist Christians - Catholics,
evangelical Baptists, etc. - were significantly more likely to lose in seeking
accommodation for religious exercise under the First Amendment or religious
liberty statutes.  Gregory C. Sisk, Michael Heise & Andrew P. Morriss,
Searching for the Soul of Judicial Decisionmaking:  An Empirical Study of
Religious Freedom
Decisions<http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=486148>,  65 Ohio
St.  L.J. 491 (2004).

By the 1996-2005 period, that traditionalist Christian deficit had disappeared.
 Michael Heise & Gregory C. Sisk, Free Exercise of Religion Before the Bench:
Empirical Evidence From the Federal
Courts<http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2025149>, 88 Notre
Dame L. Rev. 1371 (2013); Gregory C. Sisk & Michael Heise, Muslims and
Religious Liberty in the Era of 9/11:  Empirical Evidence From the Federal
Courts<http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1917057>, 98 Ia. L.
Rev. 231 (2012).  One possible reason for that change, we hypothesized, was
that a large number of the claims presented by traditionalist Christians were
for exemption from anti-discrimination statutes, such as employment cases
involving teachers in religious institutions, a position that had largely
prevailed in the lower federal courts by the middle of the last decade, even
before the Supreme Court's decision in Hosanna Tabor.

However, for the 1996-2005 period, we found that Muslim Americans had only
about half the chance to succeed in religious accommodation cases as did
claimants from other religious communities.  In the "Muslims and Religious
Liberty" article, we discussed possible explanation for this Muslim claimant
deficit.

As for judges, we found some evidence that Jewish and non-mainstream Christian
judges were attracted to religious accommodation claims during the 1986-1995
period.  But we did not replicate that for Free Exercise cases in the 1996-2005
period, although we found that Asian and Latino judges as well as judges who
were former law professors were particularly amenable to Free Exercise and
accommodation claims. In sum, our results paint a complex and nuanced picture
of how extra-judicial factors inform Free Exercise litigation outcomes as well
as judicial decisionmaking more generally.

Perhaps more pertinent to the current thread, in a related study, we did find a
powerful correlation between the political party of the judge and the outcome
in Establishment Clause cases - even controlling for the judge's own religious
background (but not finding religious affiliation of judges to be a significant
influence in either direction).  Gregory C. Sisk & Michael Heise, Ideology "All
the Way Down"? An Empirical Study of Establishment Clause Decisions in the
Federal Courts<http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1791214>, 110
Mich. L. Rev. 1201 (2012).  And here, rather than focusing on the judge's own
background directly, we suggested that the impact of political party may well
be attributable to the increasing divide between the political parties on
matters of religion and thus on those who make judicial appointments.  As we
said in the abstract for that article:

      A religious-secular divide that has become associated with the two major
political parties increasingly characterizes our national political discourse
about the proper role of religion and religious values in public life. The
federal courts may be sliding down into the same "God Gap" that has opened and
widened between left and right and between Democrat and Republican in the
political realm. Because of the notorious lack of clarity in the Supreme
Court's Establishment Clause jurisprudence and a consequent low level of law
formality, the door has been thrown wide open to unrestrained political
judging. Sadly, the Supreme Court's Establishment Clause doctrine has become an
attractive nuisance for political judging.

Michael Heise and I are planning to follow the study forward into the next
ten-year period, 2006-2015, and expect to begin collecting data in the next 12
to 18 months.

Greg

Gregory Sisk
Laghi Distinguished Chair in Law
University of St. Thomas School of Law (Minnesota)
MSL 400, 1000 LaSalle Avenue
Minneapolis, MN  55403-2005
651-962-4923
gcs...@stthomas.edu