From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu <religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu>
on behalf of Paul Horwitz <phorw...@hotmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2015 8:14 AM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: FW: Town of Greece - Canadian Version

Ruthann Robson of CUNY has, on the con law listserv, offered a post linking to
the issuance of a judgment by the Supreme Court of Canada in the case of
Mouvement laique quebcois v. Saguenay (City). [I apologize for not properly
accenting it; I am reminded of page 104 of Rick Atkinson's masterful book An
Army at Dawn.] As she notes, the case has parallels to Town of Greece v.
Galloway, inasmuch as the Supreme Court dealt with religious opening practices
by a city municipal council; unlike the American Court's decision, however, the
Canadian Court ruled, essentially on Charter grounds, that such practices were
impermissible. There are factual differences between the cases. The practices
in Saguenay were arguably much more sectarian than most if not all of the
prayers in Town of Greece, they were delivered by the mayor and not an invited
guest, and they represented one faith only; there was not even a bare minimum
of rotation among other faiths. I think it unlikely, however, that the ruling
would have differed if the facts had been closer to those in Galloway. The
decision was unanimous as to the result although there were differences on the
ad law/standard of review aspects of the case.

Three interesting facts here. First, as the case notes, the Speaker of the
House of Commons in Parliament delivers opening prayers before sessions, and
the prayer said in this case was drawn from that language. The Court declined
to draw any conclusions on that basis about the municipal practice, and noted
in passing that the prayer practice in Parliament might be subject to
parliamentary privilege. (Although I wonder whether that sufficiently answers
questions about the constitutionality of that practice.)

Second and to my mind more interesting, the preamble to the Canadian Charter of
Rights and Freedoms contains this language: "Whereas Canada is founded upon
principles that recognize the supremacy of God and the rule of law..." The
Court refused to allow that fact to alter its judgment on the Charter question,
stating that the preamble "articulates the 'political theory' on which the
Charter's protections are based" and was not determinative on the question of
how to interpret the Charter itself, whose religion and conscience guarantees
must be interpreted expansively. Although I think the Court's judgment was
right, it was nonetheless interesting to see this kind of move, which both
contrasts with those here who would interpret the Constitution and Bill of
Rights in light of both the preamble to the Constitution and, for that matter,
the Declaration of Independence; the Canadian Court's dismissive approach to
the preamble and its importance to Charter interpretation is kind of like
Heller-apres-la-lettre.

More generally, I doubt that the differences in result between the two cases
had much to do with constitutional text or legal reasoning as such. The Court's
reasoning in Saguenay, whether wrong or right, is rather airy, depends on
abstract terms that must be filled in and do little strong work in and of
themselves, and ultimately, as the Court itself says, has much more to do with
its sense of what is demanded by its sense of what the Charter should be taken
to mean given its sense of "the evolution of Canadian society." The Court's
sense is probably right, although Canadian government, including the Court, is
something of a mandarinate and there are reasons to be skeptical about its
conclusions about the state and the views of "Canadian society." In any event,
my general and longstanding impression is that the differences between the two
courts and their respective interpretation of Constitution and Charter have
much less to do with text and method than with differences in social and
cultural mores and consensus--although the (seeming) presence of a more solid
and less divided social consensus has much to do with the method the Court
applies, and its ability to rely on rather open-ended balancing rather than
highly technical, mechanical, and narrow methods of Charter interpretation. The
same cultural and institutional differences are apparent in the courts'
respective approaches to statutory interpretation as well, I think. Meanwhile,
as a friend and terrific church-state scholar at McGill Law School, Victor
Muniz-Fraticelli, observes, many of the religion cases reaching the Court come
from Quebec (and, I would add, British Columbia, which along with other western
provinces contains some more conservative and religious communities). These are
precisely those places in which the Canadian social consensus described,
represented, and relied upon by the Court--correctly enough, I think, but
perhaps without sufficient awareness of views and communities (more Western
than Quebecois) who for decades have been represented within the mandarinate
poorly if at all--breaks down.

Finally, note that the Supreme Court of Canada also recently issued a judgment
in a case called Loyola High School v. Quebec (Attorney General):
http://scc-csc.lexum.com/scc-csc/scc-csc/en/item/14703/index.do. That judgment
has some very interesting discussions that exhibit some overlap with the issues
and outcomes in recent American cases like Hosanna-Tabor and Hobby Lobby,
including some very interesting language about religion's collective aspects.
Those who are interested in issues of religious institutionalism, group
religious freedom, and so on, whatever their views on those questions,
definitely need to add this opinion to their reading lists.

Ruthann's post, with a link to the decision in Saguenay, is below.

Best wishes to all,

Paul Horwitz
Gordon Rosen Professor of Law
University of Alabama School of Law