The actual text of the prayer, which is set out in paragraph 12 of the
court’s opinion, is actually quite nonsectarian, addressed to “Almighty God”
and focused on soliciting guidance for the council. I think the right rule
is no prayers at government meetings with assembled citizens, but no one
could count to five on that in this country, and we would have been
delighted to get the official Saguenay prayer in Town of Greece.

Yet Paul characterizes it as more sectarian than the prayers in Town of
Greece, and not without reason. The mayor, who recited the prayer,
introduced it and ended it with the words “in the name of the Father, the
Son, and the Holy Spirit,” as he and other members of the council made the
sign of the cross. In one of the two places where the council met, there was
a statue of the Sacred Heart; in the other, a crucifix on the wall. So there
was much about this practice that was explicitly Catholic. These Catholic
devotions were wrapped around an official text of the prayer, enacted as a
town bylaw, that was about as nonsectarian as they come.

Douglas Laycock

Robert E. Scott Distinguished Professor of Law

University of Virginia Law School

580 Massie Road

Charlottesville, VA  22903

     434-243-8546