Dear Mr. Worley:
Your claim that pastors can do what they want is a non-starter.  We all know
they can do that now, but it is the law that creates and protects the
relationships of marriage in a complex society that is important.

If the law does not validate the marriage then one spouse cannot visit another
in hospital, there is no spousal immunity in court, child custody and child
rearing issues are uncertain, and a wrongful death suit for the death of one
spouse would not be possible.  These are just some obvious ways which married
gay people are denied the rights the rest of us have.

I agree that I will probably not convince you of anything, but at the same
time, it is important not to ignore the intellectual sleight of hand you try to
pass off by saying you support the right of pastors to do what they want.

I would love to know how the vicious persecution of LDS in the 19th century is
different from the persecution of gay people.   The main persecution was based
on marriage choice, and all the federal laws focused on that.  The US was so
obsessed with LDS marriage practices -- plural marriage, polygamy -- that the
Supreme  Court upheld prosecutions for mere "belief" rather than practice.
Mormons were tossed in jail before harvest time so they could get their crops
in.  Federal officials stormed into bedrooms in the night to catch polygamists.
 [look at Firmage and Mangrum, Zion in the Courts] Yet for all of the state and
federal persecutions of Mormonst, probably more gay people have been murdered
than Mormons because of their marital and love relations.   You would honor the
persecuted LDS adherents of the 19th century by opposing marriage persecution
or laws today try to force religious values on others.

The difference here is that I believe persecution is wrong and that consenting
adults should be able to arrange their families as they wish (subject to the
usual caveats of protecting children and spouses from violence, abuse, etc.)
and have the same legal protections as other married people.   That would true
for Brigham Young with his many wive and 57 children or my gay friends who are
married and raising their two children.  You, however, would deny my friends
the right to raise their children and protect their union with the law.

Put another way, you would use the power of the law to compel people to follow
your view of marriage -- or at least to prevent them from having the
protections of the law which I have in my marriage (and if you are married you
have in yours).

You would deny basic rights to people with whom you disagree.  I prefer
liberty, even for practices I would not personally want to engage in.

******************
Paul Finkelman, Ph.D.
Senior Fellow
 Penn Program on Democracy, Citizenship, and Constitutionalism
 University of Pennsylvania
 and
 Scholar-in-Residence
 National Constitution Center