Yesterday, an Oregon judge  ordered bakers involved in one of the same-sex
public accommodation cases to not publish, circulate, issue, or display
"any communication, notice, advertisement or sign of any kind" which
indicates a service "will be refused, withheld from or denied to, or that
any discrimination will be made against any person on account of sexual
orientation."

http://www.oregon.gov/boli/SiteAssets/pages/press/Sweet%20Cakes%20FO.pdf
(Pages 42-43)

***

My thoughts:

This means that the bakers cannot post a sign that says "We reserve the
right to refuse service." However, that is not all.

Given the bakers were also fined $135,000 for mental and emotional damages,
I am sure the order would also forbid anything that could (arguably) cause
emotional damage, such as:

"We believe that the Oregon public accommodation law is a bad law, and we
are working to get it overturned so we can select customers in accordance
with our religious beliefs on sexuality."

I disagree with this. The ability to argue that a law is wrong is a central
part of freedom of speech (never mind freedom of religion). Most
restrictions on freedom of speech until now have been cultural pressures or
specific to a state function (like running a university). This is a legal
mandate that a private citizen not say anything that a judge would see as
making "discrimination" against people based on sexual orientation.

***

To those who believe in the wisdom of public accommodation laws and the
fine imposed: How can we accommodate political speech here? the ALJ's logic
seems sensible if he fines them that much for emotional damages.

--
Michael Worley
J.D., Brigham Young University