I think I would advise them that so long as they make clear that they are going
to provide equal service to LGBT persons, they are free under the order as
interpreted consistently with the First Amendment to argue against the law’s
requirement that they do so (whether or not there’s a nonzero risk as a
predictive matter that they might have to litigate the precise boundaries of
their First Amendment right should they be hellbent on pressing all the way up
against them).

If they are publishing in newspapers, interviewing on radio or television, or
displaying signs at their home, they should be fine.  (Signs in the workplace
could implicate whether they’re equally treating their customers, which is
related to but somewhat different from the hostile environment issue Eugene
raised, insofar as the latter may rely on the actions of third parties (“or
even a restaurant patron,” Koontz wrote in the article Eugene linked), but I am
not convinced individuals have an unqualified First/Fourteenth Amendment rights
to use their places of business to advance their ideological positions.)  Cf.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2015/07/06/cake_wars_oregon_did_not_gag_an_anti_gay_bakery.html

David B. Cruz
Professor of Law
University of Southern California Gould School of Law
Los Angeles, CA 90089-0071
U.S.A.

From:
<religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu<mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu>>