What government funds are involved?

Every commercial airport in the U.S. is funded by a long-term commitment by the
airlines to pay landing fees (for the airport side) and terminal rents (for the
terminal, or land side). These use agreements do not allow rents to be taken
into any other government use.

Airports are governed by airport committees consisting of corporate real estate
people from the airlines that use the airport, usually chaired by the
representative from the airline that has the most landed weight at that airport.

For many years airports have included chapels as a kind of concession to people
traveling through the airports -- DFW, ATL and ORD are three I know of.

Most of these airport chapels have local chaplains assigned to them, but
usually unpaid from airport funds.  Most of these chapels are sufficiently
generic enough they'd be suitable for Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Jain,
Unitarian, or atheist contemplation.

Since most of the corporate real estate people are lawyers, but rarely First
Amendment lawyers, the First Amendment issues are almost always discussed, and
dismissed. The facilities are paid by fees from tickets purchased by travelers
and rents from airlines; the fees might arguably be a tax, but accommodation of
the taxpayers' beliefs never came up as a prohibited action (airlines are not
prohibited from honoring religious needs of passengers).

I think one would need to do a lot of work to establish any government action
involved in these cases.

Has anyone ever complained about the chapel already at MCO?

Airport FAQ:

       Is there a chapel/church services inside the terminal?
       Orlando International Airport has a chapel inside the terminal, located
just beyond the west security
       checkpoint (Gates 1-59), which can be accessed by any passenger holding
a boarding pass.

Orlando International Airport (MCO) - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

|   |
|   |  |   |   |   |   |   |
| Orlando International Airport (MCO) - Frequently Asked Q...How do I cross the
terminal from Baggage Claim A to Baggage Claim B? Terminal A and Terminal B are
opposite sides of the same building, which is only 525 ... |
|  |
| View on www.orlandoairports... | Preview by Yahoo |
|  |
|   |

I'll admit airport governance is widely misunderstood and a dark closet to most
people, including reporters who should know better. This article identifies the
airport committee only in the murkiest of terms (Congressmen are not members).
Orlando airport committee votes to keep TSA at MCO
|   |
|   |   |   |   |   |
| Orlando airport committee votes to keep TSA at MCOAn Orlando International
Airport committee voted Monday to keep the TSA as the airport's security staff
instead of hiring a private security firm. |
|  |
| View on www.mynews13.com | Preview by Yahoo |
|  |
|   |

But I doubt that makes this a government establishment issue.

When I served on airport committees (for American Airlines), the most
complaints we got was on chapel signage. Passengers found it difficult to
figure out where they were.

Ed Darrell
Dallas