Bob Tuttle and I have written a book ("Secular Government, Religious
People") that centrally argues that the Establishment Clause renders the
state incompetent to decide exclusively ecclesiastical questions. This is
the basis for the ministerial exception, in which the question is general
fitness (relevant criteria) or particular fitness (individual attributes)
for ministry.

Accordingly, we criticize the prison cases that undertake decision of such
ecclesiastical questions, especially the ones that rely on "expert"
testimony from imams and other clergy about the significance of certain
practices.  This seems to us to be a deep flaw in the very structure of
RFRA and RLUIPA.  But it's just wrong to assert that the positive law of
"substantial burden" is limited to the force of government compulsion, and
has nothing to do with religious impact or religious significance.